Trump picks Mick Mulvaney to be White House budget director
AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS - Sun, Dec 18th 2016 12:00 AM
Trump picks Mick Mulvaney to be White House budget director
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida: US President-elect Donald Trump said on Saturday he has chosen US Representative Mick Mulvaney of South Carolina to be his White House budget director, turning to a fiscal conservative to help pursue his policy agenda.
The nomination to be director of the White House Office of Budget and Management will require Senate confirmation. The announcement was made as Trump, who takes office on Jan. 20, began his holiday vacation at Mar-a-Lago, his oceanfront club in nearby Palm Beach, Florida.
Mulvaney, 49, was an outspoken critic of former House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner, who resigned in 2015 amid opposition from fellow Republicans who were members of the House Freedom Caucus.
Mulvaney’s selection points to a strategy by Trump to cut government where he can. The president-elect in recent days has, for example, railed against what he has labeled a far too expensive new version of the Air Force One aircraft he will fly that Boeing is supposed to build.
In a statement announcing his selection, Trump called Mulvaney a strong voice in Congress for “reining in out-of-control spending, fighting government waste and enacting tax policies that will allow working Americans to thrive.”
“With Mick at the head of OMB, my administration is going to make smart choices about America’s budget, bring new accountability to our federal government, and renew the American taxpayer’s trust in how their money is spent,” Trump said.
Mulvaney said the Trump administration “will restore budgetary and fiscal sanity back in Washington.”
“Each day, families across our nation make disciplined choices about how to spend their hard-earned money, and the federal government should exercise the same discretion that hard-working Americans do every day,” Mulvaney said.
Trump on Friday night vowed to seek approval from Congress to spend $1 trillion in new spending to rebuild America’s crumbling network of roads, bridges, airports and other infrastructure as a way to create jobs and make some needed repairs.
“We are going to fix our country. It’s time. We have no choice. It’s time,” Trump said in Orlando, Florida.
Democratic President Barack Obama had sought infrastructure spending but was thwarted by Republicans in Congress.
The Trump Organization has canceled a licensing deal for a hotel in Azerbaijan and is taking steps to do the same for a project in neighboring Georgia, part of recent efforts by the president-elect to extricate his business from thorny relationships five weeks before he takes office.
Both projects either involved or were associated with people tied to politics, partnerships that could have raised problems once Donald Trump becomes president.
The moves by Trump’s company follow a cancelation earlier this week of a licensing deal for a hotel in Brazil. The Trump Organization also recently shut down four companies registered in Delaware that had no business operations but appeared tied to Saudi Arabia, possibly vehicles for future projects in the country.
Trump lawyer Alan Garten said Friday that developers in the projects in Azerbaijan, Georgia and Brazil failed to meet terms of licensing deals. He described the moves as “normal housekeeping” and not part of a strategy to reduce potential conflicts of interests.
He said the Trump Organization had no moves underway to cancel any other overseas ventures.
Government ethics experts have been urging Trump to sell his vast holdings and hand the cash to someone with no ties to the president-elect to invest in a way unknown to him, following the practice of most recent presidents.
They say ridding himself of his ownership stake in his business, not just managerial control, is the only way to assure he won’t put private profit ahead of the public interest in shaping tax, regulatory and foreign policies.
Trump has resisted such a clear break. He has tweeted that he would leave managerial control of his business to his two adult sons and some executives. He said he will hold a news conference next month to discuss details.
 Share
Sms Message
Share on Facebook Facebook